Hundreds of years after the resurrection of Jesus Christ; the entire non-Christian world is always tangled with the question ‘Why Easter is celebrated’. This is for sure that Easter was and is so exciting event for the Christians living in the whole world. The reason for the excitement is that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is the base of Christianity. If we say that Jesus was not resurrected, means there is no Christianity because without it the Christian faith is totally incomplete.
What does the word Easter mean in the Bible?
We try to learn about the resurrection of Jesus with some biblical facts and figures. The Bible says, in the gospel of John 1:29 NKJV
It’s written “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!”
These words were uttered by John the Baptist; who came to testify Jesus Christ according to the scriptures.
What does the bible say about Easter?
If we read Bible it says in the gospel of John 1 chapter and 6 to 9 verses; It is written NKJV Bible
“There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light that all through him might believe. He was not that Light but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.”
As per the above-given verses, we come to that Jesus’ main purpose was to wash away the sins of the whole world.
How He could wash away the sins of the world?
Surely by giving His own life. Jesus had to be sacrificed, in place of lambs and goats. This means He was replaced by lamb (real lambs which were used to sacrifice according to the Old Testament) by God. He became a Lamb of God and became an eternal sacrificial promise for the sins of the whole world. Whatever was done by Jesus Christ was all entire fulfilment of old prophecies, written in the Old Testament. He didn’t give Himself for this purpose but this target was already set by heavenly God according to the Bible.
Animal Sacrifices Insufficient
We can read in The Bible in Hebrews 10 chapter verses 1 to 8 NKJV
- For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect.
- For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins.
- But in those sacrifices, there is a reminder of sins every year.
- For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins. Christ’s Death Fulfills God’s Will
- Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: “Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, But a body You have prepared for Me.
- In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin, You had no pleasure.
- Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—In the volume of the book, it is written of Me— To do Your will, O God.’ ”
- Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the law), 9then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second. 10By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.”
The Purpose of Eater (Resurrection Day)
“Jesus one of the main purposes of His life was already told by God in the old testament through the Holy Scriptures.” As Jesus gave His life then according to the Holy Scriptures and prophecies; He was to rise again from the dead. On the third day after His death; he was resurrected.
The bible says in Luke 24:4-6
“And it happened, as they were [a]greatly perplexed about this, that behold, two men stood by them in shining garments. 5 Then, as they were afraid and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? 6 He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee,”
Easter & Spiritual Realm!
Through Jesus Christ’s death and then by His resurrection; He defeated death in the spiritual realm and delivered every person from His sins who believe in His death and resurrection. We can read, how Bible explains that Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection became the reason for the total defeat of death power.
The bible tells us in 1 Corinthians 15:55-57
“O[a] Death, where is your sting?
O Hades, where is your victory?”
The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” So the Questions!
Why do Christians celebrate Easter? And, Why Easter is celebrated?
Because Jesus Christ gave His life for the sins of the world and then resurrection again to bring them in a testament, new covenant. Although it is so vast topic we believe that through this article, we tried to clear the concept of The Easter Sunday celebrations. We give All glory to Him only.